Harlan Swim Team set to begin summer practice schedule June 15
HARLAN -- While all swim meets have tentatively been cancelled for 2020, the Harlan Summer Swim Team will hold a practice season starting Monday, June 15, at the Norman D. Stamp Aquatic Center.
A total of 83 youth swimmers have signed up for the season, which runs through Friday, July 17.
On May 17, the Harlan Swim Team Board of Directors voted unanimously to pull out of the Western Iowa Swim League for the 2020 season. Other towns soon followed suit to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
However, on June 2 a five-point practice plan created by the Harlan Swim Team coaching staff was approved by its board of directors as well as the Harlan Parks and Recreation Board.
The practice plan is based on the following measures.
1) Adheres to guidelines created by Governor Kim Reynolds and her team, as well as local measures.
2) Develops a plan for proper sanitizing of equipment and safe equipment use.
3) Creates social distancing measures at practices and institutes a unique practice schedule that accommodates the safety of coaches and athletes.
4) Prohibits competition between other towns unless further guidance is approved.
5) Permits competition, exercise and healthy lifestyle for youth and continues the development of the “Cyclone Way.”
The practice schedule is tentatively set up as follows.
Monday and Thursday: 11-12 Girls and 13-14 Girls from 10:00-11:00 a.m.; 8-U Girls and Boys from 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
Tuesday and Friday: 11-12 Boys and 13-14 Boys from 10:00-11:00 a.m.; 9-10 Girls and Boys from 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
Wednesday: Incoming freshmen to graduating seniors from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
This article is available free as a service to our community during the coronavirus outbreak.
Please support local journalism by creating an account & buy a paper for $1 each, or buy a 1-year online subscription for $39.95 (104 Issues)